Unauthorized Substance tax

The unauthorized substances tax applies to controlled substances and certain illicit alcoholic beverages. This tax is due by any merchant or peddler who possesses an unauthorized substance upon which the tax has not been paid. Merchants or peddlers may purchase stamps from the Department of Revenue and affix them to the substance as proof that tax has been paid. For more information, visit our website at www.tn.gov/revenue.

Contact an agent. Submit a request