VT-10 - Title Only Examples

County clerks may issue a title only when application is made and required proof of ownership documentation is provided for the following:

  • trailers not requiring registration;
  • farm equipment;
  • all-terrain vehicles;
  • personal trailers;
  • hobby/project vehicles not driven on the road;
  • motorized bicycles;
  • manufactured homes; and
  • non-use vehicles.

Issuance of a title only is determined on a case-by-case basis and may include:

  • out-of-state repossession;
  • insurance company settlement;
  • dealer sale to out-of-state resident;
  • sale of vehicle donated to non-profit organization;
  • sale of vehicle confiscated by government agency;
  • IRP registration; and
  • vehicles not required to be registered.

In all cases the Title Only Application must be completed and submitted with supporting documentation to the County Clerk.  See application for the proof of ownership documentation required.

In the event of an unrecovered theft, requests for title only can be mailed to:

                Tennessee Department of Revenue
                Vehicle Services Division, Research Unit
                500 Deaderick Street, 7th Floor
                Nashville, TN 37242



Not finding answers? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk