VTR-41 - Error on Certificate of Title

If an owner or lienholder discovers an error on the certificate of title, they should provide a written explanation of what needs to be corrected to the county clerk’s office that issued the title. Alternatively, they can circle the incorrect information in red and write the correct information in red near the incorrect information. Once corrections have been noted, the incorrect title can be presented to the local county clerk for correction. 

If the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is incorrect on the certificate of title, you will be required to provide a verification of the VIN by digital photograph to a law enforcement officer or a licensed motor vehicle dealer. This can be submitted to your local County Clerk office or to the Vehicle Services division.


Not finding answers? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk