In order for a registrant to claim Tennessee as its base jurisdiction, the registrant must have an established place of business, meaning a building or office, located in Tennessee that is owned or leased by the registrant. The physical address on the application must list this address. Post office box addresses are not acceptable. The business must be open during regular business hours. One or more permanent employees must report for work at this address and conduct trucking-related business on behalf of the company. The registrant need not have land line telephone service. Operational records must be maintained or made available in Tennessee, and distance must be accrued in Tennessee.
Registrants who do not have an established place of business must be able to establish proof of residency in Tennessee. They must provide documentation that shows the same address indicated on the registrant's application and contains the registrant’s name. In order to prove residency, the registrant must be able to provide copies of at least three of the following documents:
- Registrant’s current Tennessee driver license (if registrant is an individual);
- Documentation that proves the registrant is incorporated or registered to conduct business as a foreign corporation in Tennessee (if registrant is a corporation);
- Documentation that proves the principal owner of a business is a resident of Tennessee (if registrant is a corporation);
- Registrant’s current federal income tax return showing a Tennessee address;
- Documentation proving the registrant has paid real estate or personal property taxes within the last year in Tennessee;
- Current utility bill (including telephone, electric, water, gas, cable, etc.) in the registrant’s name with a Tennessee address (must include the postmarked envelope in which the utility bill was mailed);
- Current bank statement (not checks);
- Current automobile, life, or health insurance policy (not wallet card);
- Current vehicle registration titled in Tennessee in registrant’s name;
- Current Tennessee voter registration card; or
- Other documentation that clearly provides proof of legal residence in Tennessee.