You can easily transfer a truck plate online through the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP).
You can also transfer a plate using paper forms. The instructions are as follows:
- Fill out the necessary documentation on a Schedule A Amendment and attach any supporting documents as noted in steps 4-8 of the new account checklist.
- If exempt from sales tax, provide a copy of the Application for Sales Tax Exemption.
- If exempt from sales tax and a leasing company, provide a copy of a Tennessee Sales and Use Tax Blanket Certificate of Resale.
If you are applying for title through IRP, you should provide the following documents:
- Original Tennessee Department of Revenue Vehicle Services Multi-purpose Application;
- Original or scanned image of original Tennessee title properly assigned to the new owner, if no lien is noted; or
- Scanned image of original Tennessee title (front and back properly assigned to the new owner) if lien is noted, or the original Certificate of Origin (MSO) and a bill of sale.
- Owners Authorization to Lessee, if the owner of the vehicle is different from the owner of the plate.
- Vehicle Lease Agreement, if the owner of the vehicle is different from the owner of the plate and the owner is exempt from sales tax.