GI-3 - How to Change Title and Registration to Surviving Spouse's Name

A surviving spouse may apply for a new title in their name at no cost within the first year of the death of the spouse.  If application is made after one year, the title and plate shall be issued at regular cost. The application to change the vehicle record to reflect the surviving spouse's name can be found here.  The application is filed with the local county clerk and must be accompanied by the existing title and a copy of the death certificate and fees, if applicable.

If the surviving spouse does not qualify for the current registration, a new plate must be assigned.

An affidavit of inheritance form may also be required and can be found here

Not finding answers? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk