All Tennessee sales and use tax exemption certificates, including resale certificates, can be verified on the Department’s website. Here’s how:
- On the Department's website home page, select “Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP).”
- Under the Look Up Information heading, select the Verify a Sales & Use Tax Certificate link.
- In the Certificate Type drop-down box, select the type of certificate you are verifying.
- For example, to verify a resale certificate, you should select Blanket Sales and Use Tax Certificate of Resale.
- In the Location ID box, enter the Location ID included on the resale certificate. Do not enter the SLC (state and local consolidated filing) account number.
It is important to note that verification of an exemption certificate does not relieve the vendor of the responsibility of obtaining and keeping a copy of the resale or other exemption certificate to document tax exempt sales.