All Tennessee sales and use tax exemption certificates, including resale certificates, can be verified on the Department’s website. Here’s how:
- Go to TNTAP.
- Click “View Options” under Information and Inquiries.
- Click on “Verify a Sales & Use Tax Certificate.”
- Select the Certificate Type using the drop-down box, and enter in any other required information.
- For example, to verify a resale certificate, you should select Blanket Sales and Use Tax Certificate of Resale.
- In the Location ID box, enter the Location ID included on the resale certificate. Do not enter the SLC (state and local consolidated filing) account number.
- Click “Submit.”
It is important to note that verification of an exemption certificate does not relieve the vendor of the responsibility of obtaining and keeping a copy of the resale or other exemption certificate to document tax exempt sales.