GEN-13 – Requesting A Tax Refund

The Department of Revenue will issue refunds of overpaid taxes if requested by the taxpayer. Otherwise, overpayments will be applied to the amount of taxes owed next year. To submit a claim for refund, please sign into your Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP) account.  Select “Additional Actions” next to the relevant account type, and then click “Claim a Refund.”

If you are unable to submit the claim for refund on TNTAP, you should fully complete a Claim for Refund form and submit it to us at the address included on the form.    

The claim for refund should include:  

  • all reasons why you believe the refund is due,
  • the amount requested,
  • the tax period,
  • the date the tax was paid,
  • the tax type, and
  • any other supporting information that will assist the Department in determining whether the refund should be granted.

All refund claims must be submitted to the Department within three years of December 31 of the year in which the tax was paid.  If the claim is for more than $200, you must also complete a Report of Debts form and submit it with your Claim for Refund form.

Special Note:  For franchise and excise tax, inheritance tax or Hall income tax, any overpayment you list on your tax return is considered a valid claim for refund.

References: Tenn. Code Ann. § 67-1-1802

Not finding answers? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk