The Tennessee Department of Revenue restructured marital joint accounts to better function in the TNTAP system. Because of this change, the Department assigned new account IDs for marital joint businesses for business tax, sales tax, and agricultural exemptions.
The Department mailed letters containing your new IDs in September 2018. Some of the highlights of that letter are:
If you have never used TNTAP:
- Create a TNTAP logon at https://tntap.tn.gov/eservices using the ID of the primary taxpayer. (Whoever has been listed first on the return)
- Use your new account ID to gain access to your account.
- Next, you can file sales tax, starting with the period beginning October 2018, and business tax, starting with the period beginning January 2018.
If you have used TNTAP and have been filing taxes under your marital joint account:
- For sales tax returns filed through the period ending September 2018 and business tax returns filed through the period ending December 2017, you will continue to use your old account number and file under the marital joint account. Note the system may show the account is closed; however, your filing will be accepted.
- For sales tax returns beginning October 2018, and business tax returns beginning January 2018, you will be filing under the primary spouse’s account with your new account ID.