I need to close my business. What do I need to do regarding my business tax account and license?

If you are registered for business tax and hold a standard business license received from a city recorder or county clerk, you are obligated by law to file a final return and pay business tax to the Tennessee Department of Revenue within 15 days after the business closes.  This is regardless of the amount of income earned during the tax year. Even if there was no income earned, the minimum tax amounts must be paid. 

On TNTAP, you will submit a Close Account request by completing the following:

  • Log in to TNTAP
  • Select the hyperlink for your business tax account
  • Select the hyperlink for Close Account under the I Want To section and indicate which location(s) are closing and when

If your business was not registered for business tax but had a minimal activity business license, you will not file a return or pay taxes to the Department of Revenue.  However, you will need to contact the county clerk or city recorder to ensure they are aware your business has closed.

If your business is subject to real and/or personal property tax, please also contact your local county or city property tax assessor’s office for instructions on paying final property taxes for your business.

Not finding answers? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk