There are only certain instances where a "title only" is appropriate for a:
- motor vehicle,
- motorized bicycle,
- pole trailer driven or moved upon a highway,
- mobile home, or
- house trailer.
While determined on a case-by-case basis, instances where only a title is required include:
- an out-of-state repossession.
- an insurance company settlement.
- dealerships selling a vehicle to an out-of-state registrant.
- an owner of a mobile home.
- vehicles donated a nonprofit agency with a perspective purchaser.
- vehicles confiscated by government agencies, where the vehicle is sold through online auctions.
- vehicles that comply with Interstate Common Carrier, and registration is provided in other jurisdictions/states.
If a request does not apply to any of these circumstances, the county clerk or the customer should submit the following to the Vehicle Services Division:
- copies of the ownership documents, and
- a letter requesting permission for and the reason why they only need a title.
Approved title only requests will be returned to the customer with instructions for filing with the county clerk. The “title only” fee is $11 (subject to additional county fees).
In the event of an unrecovered theft, requests for “title only” can be mailed to:
Tennessee Department of Revenue
Vehicle Services Division, Research Unit
44 Vantage Way, Suite 160
Nashville, TN 37243-8050