In what circumstance is a title only required for a vehicle?

County clerks may issue a title only when required proof of ownership documentation is provided for the following:

  • trailers not requiring registration
  • farm equipment
  • all-terrain vehicles
  • personal trailers
  • hobby/project vehicles not driven on the road
  • motorized bicycles
  • manufactured homes
  • non-use vehicles

Issuance of a title only (see application for proof of ownership documentation required) is determined on a case-by-case basis, and include

  • out-of-state repossession
  • insurance company settlement
  • dealer sale to out-of-state resident
  • sale of vehicle donated to non-profit organization
  • sale of vehicle confiscated by government agency
  • IRP registration
  • vehicles not required to be registered

In the event of an unrecovered theft, requests for title only can be mailed to:

Tennessee Department of Revenue
Vehicle Services Division, Research Unit
500 Deaderick Street, 7th Floor
Nashville, TN 37242

Not finding answers? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk