I am a TN contracted vendor doing business with state government entities. I was told I need to provide a certificate of registration or proof of sales tax exemption. What do I do?

Under Tennessee law, vendors who contract with the state of Tennessee must be registered to collect sales tax if they make sales that are subject to the Tennessee sales and use tax.  This is a contractual requirement from Tennessee’s Department of General Services’ Central Procurement Office that applies to all Tennessee governmental agencies. If the vendor does not make sales that are subject to the sales and use tax, the vendor must provide a letter from the Department confirming that there is no registration requirement.

Please note: If your business does not yet have a contract as a vendor for the state of Tennessee or an associated agency, no documentation is needed from the Department of Revenue at this time. You will be required to obtain the documentation if and when you are awarded a state contract.

If you are already registered to collect sales tax, please provide a copy of your business’ registration certificate to the Tennessee governmental agency that has asked for a verification of sales tax registration. 

If you cannot locate the registration certificate, please go to the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP) and select TN Vendor Contract Registration. This process will ask questions to determine whether your business should be registered for sales tax in Tennessee. If you are not required to register for sales tax, the application will provide you with a letter stating such.


Not finding answers? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk