How do I transfer a truck plate?

You can transfer a truck plate easily online through the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP).  

You can also transfer a plate using paper forms.  The instructions are below.

  • Fill out the necessary documentation on Schedule A Amendment and attach any supporting documents.
  • If exempt from sales tax, provide a copy of the Application for Sales Tax Exemption
  • If exempt from sales tax and a leasing company, provide a copy of a Tennessee Sales and Use Tax Blanket Certificate of Resale.

If you are applying through IRP, you should provide the following documents:

  • Original Tennessee Application for Certificate of Title and Registration, or a Tennessee Department of Revenue Vehicle Services Multi-purpose Application.
  • Original Tennessee title properly assigned to the new owner, if no lien is noted, or
  • Copy of Tennessee title, front and back properly assigned to the new owner, if lien is noted, or the original Certificate of Origin (MSO), along with a bill of sale.
Not finding answers? Submit a request


Powered by Zendesk